First, some of the good stuff we can get from the internet:
- Improved communications via email, instant messaging, internet phones and video.
- Data storage and sharing across the world
- The potential of networking ideas and knowledge without boundaries
- The democratization of information
- Internet crime such as online scams
- Misuse of information for negative results
- Character attacks and "cyber-bullying"
- Exploitation of children and child predators
This site provides some practical tips from the federal government and the technology industry to help people guard against online fraud and protect personal information.
They advertise themselves as a "Family Guide to making the Internet and technology fun, safe and productive." Try this site for more detailed information about protecting kids on the internet.
Be Cyber Safe is a good overview of the dangers that are out there for kids while they are online. It's full of information and links to additional resources. Definitely a good site to check out.